Popular Links Popular Links

  1. Forms Index
  2. Bulletin
  3. Doctoral Students
    Completing Your Degree
  4. Master's Students
    Completing Your Degree
  5. Academic Calendar
  6. CGU Schedule of Classes
  7. 5C Schedule of Classes
  8. Transcript Requests
  9. Veteran's Education Benefits
  10. Registering for Classes
  11. Satisfactory Academic Progress
  12. Contact Us

Registering for Classes Registering for Classes


For all CGU students, the following policies apply:


  • Refer to the Academic Calendar for dates related to registering for classes, including the refunds schedule for dropped classes.
  • Students must maintain student status throughout their careers at CGU.
  • Register at CGU for all courses as a student, no matter which Claremont Colleges campus the class may be held.
  • Register at CGU for all semesters courses are taken, including summer--even if other campuses require an additional registration process.
  • If your school/program requires advising prior to registration, you will not be able to register until you have met with your advisor. Failure to address this--or any hold--requirement is not a basis for waiving the late registration fee.
  • All students are encouraged to register online. Registration through the MyCampus can be completed through the regular session Add/Drop deadline of each semester. After that date, all enrollment transactions must be submitted on paper, using the Registration (Add/Drop) Form.
  • New students should contact their academic departments regarding first-time registration and enrollment procedures. First semester students are eligible to register after CGU receives the tuition deposit.

Preparing for Registration

Check MyCGU for holds & Student Status Information

Before the registration period begins, be sure to check your student information on MyCGU for accuracy and eligibility to enroll in courses for the new semester.

Know Your Registration Deadline Dates

Know the registration deadline dates and what fees and penalties may apply. Consult the Academic Calendar to determine important dates and deadlines for your student transactions.

  • Registration period - late registration fees apply after the registration period ends
  • Add/Drop - change fees apply after this deadline
  • Declaration of Intent - deadline for declaring your candidacy for graduation in the current term
  • Defense and submission of your dissertation - transactions completed after these dates may delay your graduation until the following semester
  • Last day of the semester - no registration or enrollment changes can be made to student records after this date

Summer Registration

During the summer semester, registration procedures for CGU classes are the same as for other semesters at the academic year. The 5C campus may require additional other materials. Students wishing to take classes at Claremont Colleges during the summer should register directly at the campus of the class they wish to take.

Online or Paper Registration

Quicklinks: Student Guide to Online Registration, Registration (Add/Drop)

Unless your department directs otherwise, students are strongly encouraged to use MyCGU for online registration. User instructions are provided at the Student Guide to Online Registration. Users acknowledge all disclosures for using the online registration system. New students should always consult their departments for instructions regarding enrollment during their first semester. The paper Registration (Add/Drop) Form may be used by those who do not enroll online.

Online Registration Disclosures

Please keep the following operating rules in mind when completing transactions over MyCGU .

  • Registration transactions are accepted beginning at noon on the first day of the registration period.
  • Registration transactions may not be submitted over MyCGU after the regular session deadline for Add/Drop.
  • When submitting enrollment transactions over MyCGU, avoid dropping all classes. These kinds of transactions are interpreted by the system as your withdrawal from the University.
  • Contact your department with questions regarding your student status or eligibility to enroll in classes.
  • Contact the Help Desk for technical assistance with MyCGU, including forgotten passwords or inability to connect.

Enrollment Policies and Issues Enrollment Policies and Issues




Students are responsible for verifying that prerequisites have been satisfied before enrolling in any course with published prerequisites. Prerequisites can be identified by accessing course information via MyCGU. Under Student Information in MyCGU, click on CGU Official Information and go to View Course Catalog. Prerequisites are listed under the Enrollment Requirements Group.

T-Course Requirement

If you began your doctoral program in or after Summer 2006, you must enroll in a Transdisciplinary (or T-) course prior to the end of your second year of study. T-courses are open to all students.


Students are considered withdrawn from CGU if any of the following occur.

  • You drop all of your courses
  • You fail to enroll in courses before the Add/Drop deadline
  • Your student status is terminated by the University

When you are withdrawn for lack of enrollment, you may correct the situation by registering before the end of the semester. Approval of your department is required and late registration fees apply. Reinstatement is required if you were withdrawn in a semester prior to the current semester. You must contact Financial Aid to determine the financial impact of your withdrawal from CGU.

Attendance and Zero Units

You are responsible for the accuracy of your class schedule and for any financial and financial aid implications therefrom.

Full time status is considered 8 units while 4 units constitutes half-time. Students on financial aid or attending with scholarships or other sponsorship should be mindful of the minimum units required by their lenders or other sponsors.

Semesters and courses for which you earn zero units are particularly critical for financial aid purposes as well as for international students. Zero units may result from dropping all of your courses in a semester or from the assignment of a U (Unsatisfactory) grade.

If you do not intend to remain in a course, you must drop the course per Add/Drop guidelines. Failure to drop a course may result in the assignment of a U grade.

  • Consult Financial Aid to determine the impact of U grades or zero units on your financial aid eligibility.
  • International students should consult the Office of International Students & Scholars Services before you withdraw from courses or if you receive an I (Incomplete) or U grade.

When you drop all of your courses, you are essentially withdrawing from the University. Students who withdraw during any semester may need to apply for reinstatement in a following semester in order to resume studies at CGU.

Cancelled Courses

When a class is cancelled, all enrollments in the class are dropped immediately. Every effort is made to notify the students affected; however, students are responsible for checking their enrollment information periodically throughout the semester.

During the first two weeks of the semester, students should regularly monitor their MyCGU schedules for enrollment transactions that result from wait list activity and course cancellations. Students are responsible for maintaining their course unit load limits for financial aid and international student purposes.

Changing to Audit Status

Students who wish to enroll in a class on an audit basis must do so by the end of the Add/Drop period. Changes to grading basis cannot be made online. Students should submit to their academic departments a Registration (Add/Drop) Form to indicate a change from graded to audit basis. Instructor permission is required. Because changes from graded to audit basis may entail a refund, all refunds are governed by the Add/Drop refund schedule.

Deadlines and Refunds

Deadlines for enrollment changes are announced in the Academic Calendar.

Term-Based Transactions

Term-based transactions include all activities that affect your student record and account within a given semester. All registrations, enrollment changes, payments, and changes to payment arrangements must be made prior to the end of the semester. No changes will be made after the last day of the semester.

Independent Study-Type Classes Independent Study-Type Classes


Required Form: Enrollment Registration Form - Independent Coursework

Claremont Graduate University offers individualized instruction on a wide range of topics through the following types of courses.

  • 397 - Tutorial Reading (Master's Level)
  • 398 - Independent Study (Master's Level)
  • 399 - Masters Thesis Research (Master's Level)
  • 495 - Doctoral Research (Doctoral level)
  • 497 - Tutorial Reading (Doctoral Level)
  • 498 - Independent/Doctoral Research
  • Internships, Directed Research, Field Studies, etc.

These types of courses are commonly referred to as Independent Study courses. Students should have completed at least one semester of enrollment in regular courses before requesting an independent study opportunity.

The procedures outlined below apply to enrollment in all types of independent study.

Registering for Independent Study

The registration process for an Independent Study course is different from enrollment in regular courses and cannot be done online. This is because each activity is structured to meet the needs and interests of the individual student.

  1. Students must complete the Enrollment Registration Form - Independent Coursework. Designed as a contract form for the academic activity to be undertaken, the form requires the signatures of the student and the instructor. The form must also be approved by the student's advisor and department head.
  2. Students must submit the completed Enrollment Registration Form - Independent Coursework to the department. Departments will approve and send enrollment forms to the Registrar's Office for processing before the end of the Add/Drop period.
  3. Forms submitted to the Registrar's Office after the Add/Drop deadline are considered late registration and are subject to the applicable fees.
  4. Independent Study with 5C Instructors: Claremont McKenna College (CMC) does not permit summer registrations in independent study courses. CGU students may still enroll in another independent study class with a 5C instructor, provided the 5C instructor and the students' department consent to the independent study activity.

Completing the Enrollment Registration Form - Independent Coursework

The purpose of submitting the Enrollment Registration Form - Indpendent Coursework is to document your independent study activity and justify the assignment of academic units for financial aid and other purposes.

  • Identify which Independent study type course is most appropriate for the activity being undertaken by discussing the possibilities with your advisor.
  • Note that you must identify the title such as "Independent Study" or "Dissertation Research" are not acceptable. For internships, specify the name of the organization where the internship will take place. When Preparing for Qualifying Exams or Developing a Thesis/Dissertation, specify the general area of your academic activity--for example, "British Literature - The Restoration Comedies" as opposed to merely "English" or "English Literature."
  • Identify literature, goals, or other academic activities for your independent study. Summarize the learning outcomes you anticipate in a statement or syllabus to be included in or attached to your Enrollment Registration Form - Independent Coursework. These anticipated learning outcomes define the terms for assessing your performance in this independent study.
  • For internships, attach a copy of the internship contract or detail of the intern's responsibilities and focus of work. If an establish class will provide the framework of your study, you may attach the class syllabus.
  • Identify a faculty member to oversee and guide your independent study. You will work closely with this instructor to accomplish your independent study goals. You will need the instructor's signature on the Enrollment Registration Form - Independent Coursework as evidence of the faculty member's agreement to supervise your independent study. Internships, which have an on-site supervisor, also require identification of a faculty, who will review the experience of the student and provide a grade.
  • Specify the units to be earned by completion of the activity. Units must be consistent with CGU credit hour policies.
  • Enjoy your independent study activities, but be sure to complete the required outcomes by the end of the semester. You may wish to consider enrolling in your independent study on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading basis.
  • Independent study enrollment forms are registration forms and all Add/Drop deadline apply.

Registration Change Policy Registration Change Policy


The Registration Change Policy, more popularly known as Add/Drop, is established in compliance with federal regulations for the administration of financial aid and apply to all students regardless of individual funding sourses. Adherance to this policy is ensures CGU's eligibility to offer financial aid through the US Department of Education and to provide educational services under the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Definition: Registration changes are changes to the schedule of courses in which you are enrolled for a semester. These transactions include all of the following.

  • Adding courses
  • Dropping courses
  • Changing the grading basis on enrolled courses--from graded to audit or vice versa
  • Withdrawals
  • Other changes to unit-bearing course loads for the semester

Term-Based Transactions: All registration changes must be submitted and processed within the semester to which they apply. The Academic Calendar notes the last day for making changes to the semester's registration.

Financial Implications: Adjustments to tuition, including credits and new charges, are determined by the date on which the transaction is processed. A schedule of Add/Drop dates is published for each (whole term, Module 1, Module 2, etc.) and for each semester in the Academic Calendar. Transactions are based upon dates for the session or module to which the specific class is assigned. Tuition and fees are published by Student Accounts.

Transaction Adjustments to Tuition:

  • Adding courses: Additional tuition is based upon the full session cost of the course, regardless of the date the class is added.
  • Dropping courses: Credits, refunds, or other adjustments are determined by a percentage of tuition assessed, the percentage based upon the date of the class is dropped. The Academic Calendar announces deadlines or the last date to receive 100%, 75%, and 50% adjustments. Classes dropped after the stipulated date to receive a W (Withdrawal) notation are ineligible for any financial adjustment.
  • Change, Graded to Audit: Credits, refunds, or other adjustments are determined by a percentage of the difference between the course's full tuition and the course's audit tuition, the percentage based upon the date of the change. The Academic Calendar announces deadlines or the last date to receive 100%, 75%, and 50% adjustments. Changes made after the date stipulated to drop courses with a W (Withdrawal) notation are ineligible for any financial adjustment.
  • Change, Audit to Graded: Tuition adjustments based upon the full session tuition cost of the course, regardless of the date of change.
  • Withdrawals: See Dropping courses.

Add/Drop Procedures

Using the MyCGU Student Portal: Access MyCGU to register and make changes to your enrollment online through the Add/Drop deadline for regular session classes. Review the Student Guide to Online Registration for more information. Other changes may be submitted through your department through the last day of the semester.

Important: When making changes to your class schedule on MyCGU, always add courses before you drop any courses. Whenever your total number of units enrolled drops to zero (0), you have technically withdrawn yourself. Subsequent enrollment transactions to add courses are then treated as a new registration--and if the new ADD transaction is submitted after the registration deadline for the semester, you will incur a late registration fee.

After the Add/Drop Deadline: After the Add/Drop deadline for regular session, all enrollment changes are made by submitting a Registration (Add/Drop) Form to your academic department.

  • Refund for dropped courses are based upon the date the class is officially dropped from the student's schedule, displayed on the student's MyCGU.
  • Refunds schedules are announced in the Academic Calendar. Applicable dates are determined by the session in which the course is scheduled--regular session, Module 1, or Module 2.

Current Tuition & Fees are available from the Student Accounts website.

Enrollment Change Fee: For each semester, an enrollment change fee applies to changes made after the last Add/Drop deadline for regular session. The last Add/Drop deadline is the date after which no refunds are due when dropping a course and a W notation is assigned for courses dropped. This date is announced in the Academic Calendar. Publication of Deadlines: Add/Drop deadlines are announced in the Academic Calendar.

Failure to Withdraw from Courses

You are responsible for officially withdrawing from courses that you do not intend to complete. Instructors are advised to assign a U (Unsatisfactory) grade if you are enrolled in a class and never attended the class.

U grades negatively impact your grade point average and may force you in to academic probation status with the University, financial aid, and student visa requirements.

  • Refer to the Student Guide to Grades and the University's policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for more information.
  • Contact Financial Aid to determine the impact of U grades on your eligibility for continued financial aid.
  • International students should contact the Office of International Students & Scholars Services.

W Notation for Dropping Classes

If you drop a class after the deadline established for the semester/module, the course remains on your transcript with a W (Withdrawn) notation. W is not a punitive grade, but rather a chronological indicator for action taken in regards to enrollment in a course. The W notation does not affect GPA and applies to all courses--graded, audited, unit-earning, non-unit-earning, independent studies, etc.

Deadline dates for the W notation are announced in the Academic Calendar. Please refer to the Enrollment Deadlines section of the Student Calendar for the applicable semester on the Academic Calendar page for dates.

Registration Holds Registration Holds


If you have a hold on your account, you cannot register for the semester specified in the hold. Contact the office that placed the hold (identified in your MyCGU) in order to resolve the situation. Delays in resolving holds are not acceptable reasons for waiving late registration fees or other penalties you may incur as a result of missing registration and Add/Drop deadlines. These fees are detailed in the Tuition & Fees table on the Student Accounts web page.

Types of Holds

Holds are placed for academic, financial, and administrative reasons. Holds that prevent your registering for classes are listed below:

  • Academic Probation: You have failed to meet CGU standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Follow the procedures provided on the Academic Probation webpage.
  • Academic Probation (International Students): Please note that SEVIS standards and regulations of the US Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) may impose tighter restrictions on your international student status as a result of academic probation, repeated academic probation, and extended time to degree. Consult the Office of International Students & Scholars Services. In addition to CGU standards, international students are required to meet academic progress requirements established by the government's student visitor program (SEVIS). International students who have failed to meet these standards may be required to complete an International Status Contract. The contract is maintained in the student's file and a hold is placed to ensure that satisfactory academic progress is reviewed before continued registration. If this hold has been placed on your record, you must meet and consult with the Office of International Students & Scholars Services. Because SEVIS requirements are strict, compliance with government regulations may prevent you from continuing as a student even if your department approves time to address CGU academic probation concerns.
  • Conditional: Continued enrollment contingent upon your meeting certain requirements specified at the time of your admission to your program. Contact your department.
  • Department: Your department, school, or program may place a hold on your record for a variety of reasons, including required advising prior to registration. Contact your department for assistance. Delays in seeking advising in order to registrar are not acceptable grounds for waiving late registration fees.
  • Insurance: International students must maintain current health insurance coverage and provide proof to the Office of International Students & Scholars Services. E-mail international@cgu.edu.
  • Out of Time: You have exceeded your time to degree and may not register for classes beginning the semester indicated in this hold. Well before the registration period begins, complete the form and process to extend your time to degree. If you are unable to enroll by the registration deadline, you may experience interruptions in library and student services as well as be subject to the late registration fee. Late registration fees apply.
  • Past Due Balance: You have an outstanding balance on your student account from a previous semester. View your bill on the MyCGU and contact Student Accounts. Delays in resolving past due balances are not acceptable grounds for waiving late registration or late payment fees.
  • Provisional: Documents required to complete your admissions file were not received by the agreed-upon deadline.
  • T-Course: Doctoral students must enroll in and complete a Transdisciplinary course during their careers of study, prior to the end of their second year of study at CGU. For assistance in resolving a T-course hold, contact the Transdisciplinary Studies office at tndy@cgu.edu.

Identifying Holds on Your Student Record

  1. Access MyCGU and sign on under MyCGU Login in the upper right corner.
  2. Click "Student Holds" in the middle of your "Student Home" section.
  3. Click on the individual hold(s) to view details and instructions to rectify it.

Auditing a Course Auditing a Course


The auditing of CGU courses is managed by the policy and procedure detailed below. Students enrolled in at least 12 units (Art students must be enrolled in at least 15 units) in a term, in a Continuous Registration course, or in a Doctoral Studies course may audit a single class of up to 4 units in the same term at no additional cost. Be sure to consult the Tuition & Fees table on the Student Accounts website for audit rates.

CGU minimum expectations for an audit are 80% attendance and participation, or the equivalent, as deemed by the instructor.

Enrolling in a Course on an Audit Basis

You may not enroll in a course on an audit basis using the online registration system.

  • Complete a Registration (Add/Drop) Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office. Use the CHANGE area to specify your request. Be sure to check the Audit column to indicate your type of enrollment change.
  • Permission of the instructor and your advisor are required. For your own records, it is recommended that you should request from the instructor a written summary of the minimum expectations for the audit prior to registering for the course or by the end of the first class session.
  • Verify your registration on MyCGU to ensure that your course is registered properly and to determine applicable tuition charges.

Enrollment Changes on Audited Courses

Students are responsible for dropping courses they do not intend to complete. All enrollment change actions must be requested prior to the deadlines established in the Academic Calendar. Changes to the enrollment of audited courses are subject to the refund specifications outlined in the Refund Schedule for the applicable semester.

Grading of Audited Courses

Students who successfully complete an audited course are assigned the AU (Audit) grade notation. Students who do not complete courses for which they have enrolled are subject to the grading policies of the instructor, including the assignment of a U (Unsatisfactory) grade.

Repeat Course Policy Repeat Course Policy


This policy is established in compliance with federal financial aid regulations and to ensure the accuracy and integrity of student academic records. Repeat enrollment in courses is governed by this policy and applies to all courses offered at CGU with the exception of the following courses or types of courses.

  • Independent study/research courses
  • Doctoral Study and Continuous Registration courses
  • Internships
  • Music/art performance, practice, and studio courses
  • Courses for which multiple semesters of enrollment are required by the academic program
  • Courses that students must repeat in order to achieve a minimum grade specified by program degree requirements

Policy on Repeating Courses

Students may repeat courses with the approval of the student's program AND provided all of the following conditions apply.

  • The course itself does not restrict repetition.
  • The student's department or program does not restrict repeating courses or have other limits on repeated courses.
  • Previous enrollments in the course have been assigned a permanent grade. Permanent grades are grades other than I (Incomplete) and GP (Grade Pending).
  • The student must register and enroll for each repetition of a course. Applicable tuition and other fees apply.

For academic transcript purposes, the following policies apply to the recording of repeated courses.

  • All enrollments are recorded on the official transcript, including the grade received for each enrollment.
  • Students may receive credit for a course only once, regardless of the number of repetitions.
  • For grade point average (GPA) calculations, the highest grade achieved by a student in a repeated course is the grade that is factored into the student's GPA.

Financial aid may not be available for the repetition of certain courses. To determine eligibility for funding and application of financial aid regulations to repeating courses, please consult Financial Aid.

Important Considerations for Students

The Policy on Repeating Courses is intended to ensure academic, chronological accuracy and to preserve the integrity of a student's transcript as an official report of historical enrollment and academic performance. Grading must be based upon performance requirements announced by the instructor of record at the beginning of the course. The Incomplete Grade process allows a student additional time to complete coursework, but does not authorize participation in subsequent offerings of the course.

Students who choose to repeat a course must be cognizant of all of the following.

  • Enrollment in a course that is being repeated must be approved by the student's department.
  • A course may not be repeated if a permanent grade has not been assigned for a previous enrollment in the same course. Courses for which a student has received an Incomplete (I) or Grade Pending (GP) notation may not be repeated until after a permanent grade is assigned.
  • Subsequent enrollments in a course for which the student received an I, GP, or no grade for a previous enrollment in the same course will result in assignment of a W (Withdrawn) notation for the first enrollment. No refunds are available these previous enrollments since the course was taken in a past semester.
  • Grades for previous enrollments in a course remain on the student's transcript.
  • The highest grade earned in a repeated course is factored into the student's GPA.
  • Credit may be earned only once for a course, regardless of the number of repetitions of the same course.
  • Financial aid may not be available for units that accrue from repeating courses. To determine eligibility per financial aid regulations, please consult Financial Aid.

Students who do not expect to complete a course successfully should consider dropping the course before the end of the semester in which the course is taken. After the Add/Drop date announced in the Academic Calendar, the drop action may be recorded on the student's transcript with a W (Withdrawn) notation. W does not affect the GPA. It is an enrollment notation and is neither punitive nor negative.

As a reminder, grade changes are recorded on the transcript with the original grade and the date a new grade is assigned.

Integrity of Student Academic Performance

Grades and grade changes may only be submitted by the instructor of record. The instructor of record is the instructor designated in CGU course files and the CGU Schedule of Classes as the faculty member responsible for the course.

Grades must be based upon a student's performance in coursework established for the course by the instructor of record during the semester that the course is offered.

Students may never take a course in one semester and repeat the course in a subsequent semester with the objective of replacing a grade earned in a previous semester. This is a violation of the integrity of academic record practices and a misrepresentation of student academic achievement. Such a practice is also unfair toward both the University and the other students enrolled in the course.

Exceptional circumstances, such as the death or unanticipated departure of an instructor, are addressed by the department with the concurrence of the Provost and the Registrar.

Policies and procedures regarding grades are detailed in the Student Guide to Grades at CGU.

Credit Hours Credit Hours


Credit hours refers to the units or credits earned by a student for the successful completion of a course at CGU. These are the units recorded on the student's official transcript and the same units that are counted toward degree requirements or qualifications for certificates.

The standard for credit hours is set by federal regulations governing eligibility for and the disbursement of financial aid. 34 CFR Section 668.2 refers to 12 semester hours for institutions that measure progress in credit hours and use a standard semester term. Standards are essentially the same for graduate and undergraduate education since the two are differentiated by the level of study and not the number of hours devoted to study.

For CGU courses, a single unit or credit is determined by 10.5 hours of direct instructor contact in a classroom activity per semester. When creating and scheduling courses, departments and programs must be careful to ensure that scheduled class meeting times meet or exceed the following requirements based upon the 10.5 hours per unit rule. A standard semester at CGU is 16 weeks in the Fall and Spring.

Units  - Hours - Minutes

    1.0  -  10.5  -     630
    2.0  -  21.0  -  1,260
    3.0  -  31.5  -  1,890
    4.0  -  42.0  -  2,520

Note that departments and programs that follow the schedule of standard meeting times established and published in the Call for Courses meet the requirements of the institution's definition of credit hours.

Transfer Credit Transfer Credit


Graduate level coursework completed at another institution may be evaluated by an academic program and accepted for credit toward a student's degree requirements at CGU. This kind of coursework is referred to as transfer credit because credit for these courses are transferred into CGU from another institution.

Coursework approved for transfer credit is documented on your transcript with a notation indicating the source of the transfer credit and the number of units for which you are credited. Individual courses and grades received are not recorded on your CGU transcript. Further, grades received for non-CGU or non-Claremont Colleges courses are not factored into your CGU record.

Requirements for Accepting Transfer Credit

Source: Only graduate-level coursework from regionally accredited institutions may be accepted as transfer credit. Courses offered by the Claremont Colleges or Claremont School of Theology (CST) are accepted only when enrollment is completed through CGU, or when a student is part of a university-approved accelerated Master's program such as the 4+1 accelerated degree program with the Claremont Colleges.

Documentation: An official transcript from the institution where the coursework was completed must be submitted to CGU.

Accounting: Units at CGU are based upon semester units, requiring a conversion if the units earned are quarter units. One quater unit equals .667 semester units. Fractions are dismissed, since CGU uses only whole units.

  • 36 quarter units convert to 24 semester units
  • 6 quarter units convert to 4 semester units
  • 3 quarter units convert to 2 semester units

Transfer units from another institution using semester hours cannot be changed i.e. 3 units changed to 4.

Achievement: Students must achieve a grade of B or better in any coursework accepted as transfer credit. Classes taken on a pass/fail, satisfactory/unsatisfactory, or credit/no credit basis require official documentation from the institution indicating that the grade is equivalent to a B or better. 

Completion Dates: Transfer credit may be granted for coursework completed before an individual becomes a student at CGU as well as for coursework taken while the individual is a CGU student.

  • Applicants: Transfer credit for coursework completed before an individual becomes a student at CGU is submitted and evaluated as part of the individual application process. Departments must complete the Transfer Credit Request Form, specifically identifying the courses for which transfer credit is to be granted.
  • Current Students: CGU students should obtain approval from the academic department prior to enrolling in courses outside of CGU. Upon completion of the course, a transcript is submitted to the academic department for review. Departments complete the Transfer Credit Request Form, attach the official transcript, and submit the package to the Registrar's Office for processing.

Age of Courses: Individual programs reserve the right to deny transfer credit for any and all coursework that may be considered old, dated, or no longer relevant to the discipline.

Important Note: Claremont Graduate University (CGU) reserves the right to require review by a foreign credentials evaluator of any coursework for which transfer credit is requested. Reasons for requiring an external evaluation include the absence of an official transcript that certifies regional accreditation or affiliation with a regionally accredited institution; the absence of credit hour standards at which the coursework was completed that would assist in calculating and substantiating the amount of transfer credit requested. In the event an external evaluation is required, CGU's preferred provider is World Education Services (www.wes.org). 

Limits on Transfer Credit

Masters Degrees: The number of units accepted for transfer credit are limited, based upon the units required for the particular degree program.

  • 15 units, if 60 or more units are required for the degree
  • 10 units, if 48 to 59 units are required for the degree
  • 6 units, if less than 48 units are required for the degree

Doctoral Degrees: For doctoral degrees, no more than 24 units may be accepted as transfer credit. In addition, other stipulations apply.

    • Units that are transferred into a CGU program must be relevant to the student's program of study at CGU. This determination is made by the student's academic program.
    • In some cases, transfer credit may be assigned based upon the general content of a program completed outside CGU. This determination is made by the student's academic program. 
    • Coursework that was applied toward completion of a bachelor's degree may not be accepted for transfer credit.
    • The amount of transfer credit accepted for doctoral students may impact the student's residency requirement and time to degree.
Amount of Transfer Credit:
  • 13 units or more
    • Residency Requirement: 24 units within 2 years
    • Maximum Time to Degree: 6 years
  • 12 units or less
    • Residency Requirement: Two full semesters in 2 years, or 36 units in 2-1/2 years
    • Maximum Time to Degree: 6-1/2 years

 Dual Degrees: Limitations on transfer credit for dual degree programs are as follows.

    • No more than 12 units may be transferred into a dual degree program that consists of a Masters and a Doctoral combination.
    • No units may be transferred into a dual degree program that consists of two Masters degrees.

Exchange Students Exchange Students


Exchange students are individuals who are currently enrolled in a degree program at another graduate institution and who wish to enroll at Claremont Graduate University for a semester of coursework. Interested students should contact the department of interest directly. Students from non-US institutions should also consult with the Office of International Students & Scholars Services regarding Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) requirements.

Registration: Students must be currently enrolled at either a domestic or international institition to qualify for exchange student status. An official transcript or enrollment verification must accompany the Visiting Student Registration Form.

Individuals who are not currently enrolled at another institution should inquire about admission to CGU, either to one of the University's degree programs or as a non-degree seeking student (special status). Procedures for visiting scholars, which is another status entirely, are provided to academic departments in the Institutional Handbook.

Form: Visiting Student Registration

Enrollment in Coursework: Exchange students are not eligible for financial aid from CGU and must enroll in unit-earning courses. Courses that are reserved for degree-seeking students at CGU, such as Continuous Registration and Doctoral Study, are not open to exchange students.

5C Students Registering for CGU Classes 5C Students Registering for CGU Classes


Undergraduates Registering for CGU Classes

While some CGU courses are restricted to graduate student enrollments, other courses are open for enrollment to students from the undergraduate colleges (5C) of the Claremont University Consortium (CUC). CGU, its departments, and its instructors reserve the right to cancel a non-CGU student's enrollment for failure to comply with the procedures disclosed on this page and/or those of the individual CGU department.

5C students register for CGU courses at their home college after obtaining the written permission of the CGU course instructor or, in some cases, the CGU department. Evidence of permission must be submitted to the registrar of the undergraduate student's home college per that college's procedures. If necessary and upon request, evidence of permission must be provided to the CGU registrar or CGU department.

For certain CGU courses and programs, permission for undergraduate student enrollment is granted only after department review of the undergraduate student's request. These special situations are detailed below.

Management and Executive Management

The demand for Management and Executive Management courses is competitive and enrolled participants may include executives and continuing education students from public and private enterprises. To maintain and to ensure a certain level of professional participation and prerequisite experience for dialogue enrichment, permission for the enrollment of undergraduate students in these courses is given only by the department office. Do not approach individual instructors for permission to enroll.

Undergraduates and other non-CGU students interested in pursuing enrollment in courses offered at the Peter F. Drucker and Masatoshi Ito Graduate School of Management should contact the school at (909) 607-8100 to schedule an interview.

Teacher Education

Department-issued permission for enrollment of undergraduate students in the following courses is required from the School of Educational Studies - Teacher Education Office in Stauffer Hall. Call (909) 607-3692 for instructions.

EDUC 170G: In the fall, the School of Educational Studies - Teacher Education offers EDUC 170G, Introduction to Public School Teaching. This course is open to undergraduate students interested in exploring a teaching career in a K-12 public school. Interested students should contact the Teacher Education Program to schedule an interview for evaluation and permission to enroll in this course.

EDUC 300G: During the Spring semester, three sections of Teaching/Learning Process I are offered to undergraduate seniors as a bridge to the pursuit of graduate studies in teacher education. The three sections focus on Single Subject, Multiple Subject, and Special Education strategies. Interested students should contact the Teacher Education Program to schedule an interview for evaluation and permission to enroll in any section of this course.

Courses Restricted to Graduate Students

Enrollment in the following courses or groups of courses are restricted to graduate students or CGU students only:

  • Transdisciplinary (TNDY) Program - TNDY courses and any CGU section that may be combined with a TNDY course are restricted to graduate students only.
  • Continuous Registration and Doctoral Studies courses are reserved for CGU students enrolled in specific degree programs.

Staging Enabled