Quick Links Quick Links





Contact Us Contact Us


Location: SLDL Office
Office Phone: 909-607-0434
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Email: international@cgu.edu
Address: 738 N. College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711

Staff Staff


Mireya Morales profile image

Mireya Morales

Assistant Dean of Students and Director of International Student Services
SEVIS Designated School Official & Responsible Officer

Ariel Carpenter profile image

Ariel Carpenter

Assistant Director of Student Life & International Services
SEVIS Designated School Official

Katie Fierro profile image

Katie Fierro

Program Coordinator of Student Life, Diversity & Leadership

Current Students Current Students


Current international students can get assistance with all of your needs including employment authorization and extensions needed to stay in the country.  Call, email, or come in and talk to our staff about any questions you have.

International Scholars Program

The International Scholars Program is specially designed for non-native English-speaking international students who are ready for graduate study. It will prepare you for the rigors of graduate study by providing you with an excellent opportunity to refine your language, research, and participation skills. The program is aimed at helping you succeed in graduate-level courses and adapting to the expectations of American academic and business culture.

Employment Authorization

On Campus Employment

F-1 students can work on campus without express-written permission, up to 20 hours per week during school time, and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks (Winter vacation and Summer semester).

J-1 students are eligible for the same work time periods but must have express-written permission from the International Office Staff (or their Responsible Officer if CGU is not their sponsoring institution).

F-1 Curricular Practical Training (PDF)

F-1 CPT allows you to work off-campus while a student at CGU. Please refer to the F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Application Packet for information and eligibility requirements.

F-1 Optional Practical Training (PDF)

F-1 OPT allows you to work off-campus full-time for up to 12 months after you graduate from CGU. Please refer to the F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) Application Packet for additional information and eligibility requirements.

F-1 OPT 17-month Stem Extension

You must file for the STEM Extension before your 12-month OPT expires. (Please see additional OPT information for details).

J-1 Academic Training (PDF)

J-1 Academic Training allows international student/scholars to work off-campus while studying at CGU or after they graduate CGU. Please refer to the J-1 Academic Training handout for information on Academic Training.

H-1B Cap Gap Extension

A new regulation now allows F-1 students who have applied for an H-1B to have his/her F-1 status automatically extended until October 1 of the year in which the student is applying. Duration of status and work authorization will automatically be extended for a student on OPT who is the beneficiary of a timely filed H-1B petition requesting an employment start date of October 1 of the following fiscal year.

J-1 Scholars

In order to be a J-1 Scholar at The Claremont Colleges, you must be invited by a department to conduct research or teach as a visiting professor. Read our J-1 requirements.

Extension of Time

If your I-20's end date is near and you are not graduating this semester please have your department complete the International Extension of Time form (PDF).

Less Than Minimum Units

If this is your final semester and you have less than 8 units remaining to complete your degree, please have your department complete the Less than Minimum units form (PDF) by the add/drop date.

SEVIS Reinstatement

If you are in need of a reinstatement please contact us at international@cgu.edu by the add/drop date.

Transfer Out of CGU

In order to transfer your I-20 or DS-2019 from CGU to your new school, you will need to do the following:

  1. Inform CGU
    You must inform both your academic department and the Registrar's Office of your intent to withdraw from CGU

  2. "New School" Transfer form
    Submit a transfer form from your new school to the CGU international student services office.

  3. Transfer from CGU Form (PDF)
    Complete the "Transfer from CGU" form to the international student services office.

Staging Enabled