Quick Links Quick Links


Academic Calendar
Health Insurance
Tuition Fees
Schedule an Appointment

Contact Us Contact Us


Location: SLDL Office
Address: 131 E 10th Street, Claremont CA 91711
Email: international@cgu.edu
Phone: +1 909-607-0434
Summer Office Hours: 

  • Monday - Thursday 8:30AM- 5:00PM
  • Fridays 8:30AM- 3:00PM

J-1 Students and Scholars J-1 Students and Scholars


The U.S. Department of State administers the Exchange Visitor Program under the provisions of the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961, as amended. The Exchange Visitor Program provides foreign nationals opportunities to participate in exchange programs in the United States with the expectation that on completion of their exchange program, they will return home to share their experiences.

Claremont Graduate University is the main site for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program at the Claremont Colleges. To be invited to participate in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program at the Claremont Colleges, you must be admitted to an academic program; or be requested to serve in a research, teaching or lecture position by a Claremont College academic department. 

For more information on J-1 visa and entry process, please review details below, email your international advisor, or schedule an appointment with a CGU J-1 advisor.


International advisors

Claremont Graduate University designates university officials to serve as J-1 international advisors for the Claremont Colleges consortium. These advisors are required to monitor and update the SEVIS records for all J-1 students, scholars, and dependents. 

J-1 international advisors are called Responsible Officers (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO). Below are the appointed university RO/AROs across the Claremont Colleges:

If you are unsure who to contact, please reach out to the Responsible Officer at Claremont Graduate University (CGU).


The Claremont Colleges only invites Exchange Visitors to serve as Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors or University Students (degree seeking and non-degree). For more information on these specific categories, visit the Exchange Visitor Program website. Below are the general requirements for J-1 scholars (Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors) and J-1 students (university students).

J-1 Scholars

To be eligible to lecture, teach, or research at the Claremont Colleges, an Exchange Visitor must hold a similar position in their home country (Professor, Researcher, Post-Doc, etc). J-1 scholars must also have at least a Bachelor's degree with appropriate experience in the field of study. All J-1 scholars must be proficient in the english language. J-1 scholars can prove their proficiency through submission of their IELTS/TOEFL score report, or through an interview with the academic department.

J-1 Students

To be eligible to study at the Claremont Colleges, an Exchange Visitor must be admitted directly into an academic program and meet the admission requirements for the host campus. J-1 students must also show proof of funding that is at least primarily covered (at least 51%) through sponsorships other than personal or family funds.  

Immigration Documents

Upon invitation to study, research, or teach at the Claremont Colleges, please submit (1) the J-1 Request for a DS-2019, (2) the invitation or admission letter from the academic department, and (3) a copy of your passport page (and any dependents, if applicable) to your host campus RO/ARO. If your stay will not be financed by the Claremont Colleges, you will also need to submit proof of financial capability with your request form. 

To have your visa documents shipped directly to you, please purchase a shipment label through UEMS Eship Global. CGU uses a convenient express mail services that will allow you to pay for and receive your documents through DHL, UPS or FedEx within 5-7 business days. THIS IS REQUIRED for all students and scholars who want their DS-2019 shipped. To set up an account, please visit UEMS Eship Global website. For more information, go to the FORMS section under Quick Links.

Once you receive your DS-2019 immigration form, and pay the SEVIS I-901 fee (required of all J-1 students and scholars), you may apply for your J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country. Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not have to apply for a J-1 visa. To find the closest US Embassy or Consulate office, in addition to the appointment wait time, please click here.

Prearrival Information

Home-country Physical Presence Requirement

The two-year home-country foreign residency requires that J-1 students or scholars must return to their home country for a cumulative total of two years at the end of their program. This requirement applies to any J-1 students and scholars who are funded by either their government, or the U.S. government; has specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary by their home country; or received graduate medical training. 

Health Insurance

All J-1 students and scholars (as well as their dependents) must have insurance in effect that covers them for sickness or accidents during the time of their exchange visitor program. For more information on coverages, visit the Exchange Visitor Program website


CGU and the Claremont Colleges offers many different options for on-campus and off-campus housing. Visit the Housing Community page on MyCGU for information.


The Claremont Colleges host two orientations each academic year during the fall and spring semester. We encourage all J-1 students and scholars to attend, if their program begins at the start of the fall and spring semester. For more information on the New International Student & Scholar Orientation, please visit the International Place website.


Check-in is mandatory once you arrive to Claremont. Students and scholars are welcome to check-in during the International Student Orientation (hosted by I-Place), All-CGU Orientation, or schedule a one-on-one appointment with their RO/ARO. To schedule an appointment with CGU's RO, please contact international@cgu.edu

Requirements for Check-In

Passport and Visa

All incoming international students and scholars must bring their active passport, and visa.

DS-2019 Form

A copy of your signed DS-2019 Form will be saved in your J-1 scholar record. 


A form used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection intended to keep track of the arrival and departure to/from the United States. Bring a copy of your I-94 to the check-in session. To access your I-94, visit USCIS' website at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home.


Student Health Services requires that all new international students and scholars undergo screening or provide proof of tuberculosis testing prior to arrival in the United States. For more information on required and recommended immunizations, please visit SHS' website and complete CGU's Medical History Report.

Health Insurance

All J-1 students and scholars must show proof of health insurance coverage. All J-1 students enrolled in a degree-seeking program at CGU will automatically be enrolled in the university policy. J-1 scholars, however, have the option of securing private insurance. J-1 scholars who are interested in the CGU recommended plan, please contact international@cgu.edu.

Additional Resources

J-1 Regulations

The Department of State (DOS) manages the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. There are specific regulations for students and scholars who enter the United States on a J-1 visa. For more information, refer to the 22 CFR 62 Exchange Visitor Program regulations.


Exchange Visitor Welcome Brochure

The Department of State (DOS) provides a welcome brochure for all J-1 scholars, students and dependents. This brochure provides information on the Exchange Visitor program, key contacts, and compliance and regulatory rules. To download the brochure, visit the Exchange Visitor Program website under Participant Brochures. 


William Wilberforce Act

The William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (WWTVPRA) of 2008 was signed into law on December 23, 2008. Changes under this law, relate to the legal rights of certain employment or education-based non-immigrants under Federal immigration, labor, and employment laws. The WWTVPRA outlines information that must be provided to certain non-immigrants about their rights, protections and available resources. To learn more or to download the Nonimmigrant Rights, Protections and Resources pamphlet, please go to the Exchange Visitor Program Website.


Staging Enabled