Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions


How do I pay my Initial Fee?

Your initial fee can be paid by personal check, money order, international money order, cashier's check or online using the CGU Housing pay portal. The initial payment, along with the Housing Services Application and the Housing Services License Agreement can be dropped off at the Housing Services office located at 1445 N. College Ave. #103, Claremont, CA 91711. Or it can be mailed to: Attn: Housing Services, 1435 N. College Ave. # 317, Claremont, CA 91711.


How do I pay my Monthly rental fee?

Rent payments can be made directly to the CGU Housing Office in the form of a Personal Check, Cashiers Check, or Money Order. Residents can also pay online using the CGU Housing pay Portal. If paying your rent from financial aid, which includes loans, sponsorships, scholarships, fellowships, grants, or any other comparable financial aid contact the CGU Housing office.


When can I move in?

Your Confirmation of space will indicate the date that you are able to move in to the complex and the License Agreement will indicate the date that you need to vacate. Your first and last month's rent will be pro-rated based on the date you arrive and vacate.


Can I move in before the date indicated on the License Agreement?

Depending on the time of year and space availability, we may be able to accommodate you to move in early. However, this request needs to be submitted to the Housing Services office in writing and will be treated on a case-by-case basis.


Can I move into my space in the evening or on weekends?

We have Resident Assistance (RA's) that can assist with after hour check-ins however, your arrival must be scheduled with the CGU Housing Office prior to your arrival. If you arrive outside of normal business hours without a scheduled check-in or after-hour arrangement  you will need to find temporary housing accommodations (hotel, friend, etc.) until the next business day that the Housing Services Office is open.

If I have a roommate, how are they selected?

Roommates are selected in one of two ways. On your application, you have the ability to suggest who you would like to have as a roommate.  While we can't guarantee your roommate preference, we will certainly do our best to accommodate that preference. Be advised that any suggested roommates need to have submitted the appropriate application materials within the specified timelines in order to be given full consideration as a roommate preference. If no preferred roommate is listed on your application then the Housing Service office will assign an individual to your apartment.


Where can I buy a bed?

The University partners with University Bed Solutions(UBS) to assist any CGU student in need of a mattress and/or bed-frame. UBS not only offers low pricing, but also provides assistance with delivery and setup. You can access UBS at the following link:


Can I bring my own furniture?

All of the units in the CGU Apartments are fully furnished, with the exception of mattresses and bed-frames. Placing additional furniture in your apartment beyond your mattress/bed-frame, or removing existing furniture, must be approved by the Manager of Housing Services. If you are requesting to place or remove furniture in the common (shared) areas of your unit, then your roommate may also need to approve the request prior to forwarding the request to the Housing Services office.


Can I bring a pet?

Unfortunately, no pets are permitted in the apartments, or on the premises of, the CGU Apartments.


Will I need to pay for any utilities?

As a resident in the CGU Apartments, all of your utilities (electric, water, and trash collection) are covered by your rental payment. Additionally, you receive Cable TV as a resident.  But if you require phone service, you will be responsible for all costs associated with that service.


Is smoking allowed?

Smoking is not allowed inside any apartment unit or public space (Computer Lab and Community Room), nor is it allowed on balconies or any walkways or paths within the gated area of the complex. Designated smoking areas are located outside of the entry gate to each building and smoking is permitted in those areas.


What if I need to cancel my housing assignment after I receive a confirmation email/letter?

Once we have confirmed your assignment, it is our expectation that you will be living on campus for the corresponding period. However, if after you have received email confirmation of your space, you should have a need to cancel your housing assignment, then complete the Refund Request Form and submit it to the Housing Services Office. A fee of one-hundred dollars ($100.00) will be charged against your Initial Fee if you cancel thirty (30) or more days before the start of the agreement period (the date indicated on your License agreement).  A fee of two-hundred dollars ($200.00) will be charged against your Initial Fee if the cancellation occurs less than thirty (30) days before the start of the agreement period.


How do I pay my rent?

Your rent can be paid by personal check, money order, Cashier's Check, or online through your CGU Student Portal.  Your rent can be dropped off at the Housing Services office (Building B-103) either in person or via the "Rent Drop" slot just outside of the office.  You can also mail your rental payment to:  Attn. Housing Services, 1435 N. College Ave. # 317, Claremont, CA 91711.


Can I pay my rent with money from Financial Aid, Loans, Scholarships, or a Sponsor?

Your License Agreement states that if you are receiving financial assistance in any semester that the amount of your rental fees for that semester will be deducted from your financial assistance that you are to receive.  The amount remaining in your financial assistance package will be refunded to you.  If your assistance does not fully cover your housing obligation then your account will be billed the difference.

Is cleaning service provided?

It is your responsibility to clean and maintain your living environment.  If you share a unit with someone else then you will need to talk with your roommate about an effective cleaning schedule.  Housing Services only schedules the cleaning of living spaces either just after a resident vacates, or just before a new resident arrives.  Due to the infrequent nature of those cleanings, you should not rely on them as the primary cleaning source for your apartment.


Do you provide internet service?

Yes, the complex has wireless capability in all apartment units and public areas (Community Room). The complex also has a Computer Lab that is accessible 24-hours a day and offers the most current university software programs.


What do I do if something  in my apartment needs to be repaired?

The Housing Services office utilizes the University's Facilities office to address all maintenance issues. You can report your maintenance need in person at the Housing Services office; by calling 909-607-8506; or by emailing In all cases you will need to indicate the following:
  • Your apartment number (also give the bedroom letter if applicable)
  • A brief description of what needs to be repaired
  • Your permission to allow the Facilities staff to enter your apartment to repair your issue in the event that you are not there.  Or, indicate that you would like to be present for the repair.

Once I move in, how am I able to terminate my License Agreement and move out?

Your License Agreement outlines a defined rental period (Ex. August – May). If you desire to move out during a rental period, you will need to complete and submit a Request to Vacate form to the Housing Services office, along with any supporting documentation if applicable. The form will be reviewed and a decision will be will be communicated to you via email.


What if I've been approved to move out, but need to move out at a time when the Housing Services office is closed?

If you need to move out during a time when the Housing Services office is not open then simply place all of your keys (apartment door, bedroom door, and mailbox) in an enveloped marked with the following information:
  • Your name
  • Your apartment number and bedroom location (if applicable)
  • The date
Drop the envelope in the "Rent Drop" slot outside of the Housing Services office.


If I move out of the CGU Apartments, but plan to return in an upcoming semester, can I return to the same apartment that I vacated?

Because students are always moving into the complex, the probability of returning to the same apartment is very low. The only way to guarantee your return to that same space is to continue paying the required rental amount.


When will my security deposit be returned to me after I move out?

Your security deposit should be processed and disbursed in approximately four (4) weeks after the date that the Housing Services office has received the keys to your apartment and the necessary information (forwarding address or bank account information for wire transfer) to send the refund. Remember that the amount of your refund will be less the amount needed to clean or repair damage to your apartment.

Staging Enabled